From the beginning of time skill acquisition has been a necessity for human survival and acquiring a skill has been as important as life itself but today, in our contemporary world more emphasis is placed on academic education at the expense of vocational education which has led to the mass production of unskilled graduates which are unemployed and dependent on various institutions for survival instead of been independent and able to facilitate the creation and running of various institutions in order to advance the development of the country. Getting a skill in Nigeria today is of utmost importance. Here are seven (7) reasons why you should learn a vocational skill.
- Better employment opportunity; It is a generally known fact that majority of Nigerian graduate from the various higher institutions of learning in the country do not possess any skill that will make them employable from graduation and this stands as a major obstacle for them in getting a dream job. In order to have an edge over other job seekers, it is advisable to learn a skill because this will significantly be a boost to your advantage over others in the labour market.
2. Vocational Education takes shorter time duration; Unlike the conventional academic education that takes ages for you to acquire certificates without practical knowledge or experience, vocational education takes a shorter time period. Within a short period of time, you can gain required knowledge and mastery of skill to become a practising professional. Vocational education takes as low as between one to three (1-3) months with an intensive practical approach which will help you gain the required knowledge needed to be a practising professional in your field.
3. Opportunity to be your own boss!; Nothing beats being your own boss! being the master of your yourself, time, resources, etc without having to depend or report to anybody for anything. This is what vocational education offers you, opportunity to be your own boss. After acquiring and gaining mastery of a skill you can go on to set up your own organisation where you render services based on the skill you have learned while being in control of everything.
4. Improved income; Acquiring a vocational skill directly translates into you earning more money!. On the average, a skilled building contractor earns more money than an average banker and this is due to the fact that the contractor possesses a vocational skill which is much more readily sought after hence, an increase in his pay. Vocationally skilled persons generally earn more money than people with collar jobs. If you are looking to improve your income or get multiple streams of income aside from your everyday 9 am-5 pm job, then you should get a vocational skill.
5. Opportunity to fill in the gap; Do you know that today there is a major gap of vocationally skilled personnel in the country? because to this majority of skilled personnel are imported from neighbouring countries like Benin Republic, Togo, Ghana etc. and these vocationally skilled foreigners are carting away the money meant for Nigerians due to the fact that we lack adequately vocationally skilled personnel in the country? It is a high time you drop your certificates and learn a vocational skill so as to fill in these gaps so as to earn a very good living for yourself as a person.
6. Possess adequate practical knowledge in the area of specialisation; It is a well-known fact that the majority of our higher institutions in Nigeria are more theoretically inclined than they are practical. Due to this, most graduates from these higher institutions only have theoretical based knowledge while lacking adequate practical knowledge of their area of specialisation. For instance, you can imagine a graduate of Electrical engineering that can’t fix simple household electrical faults or a graduate of civil engineering without any form of building or construction skills whatsoever. Vocational education in your area of specialisations helps you to gain the practical adequate knowledge for you to perform adequately and excel in your area of specialization.
7. Self Development; Investment in self is never a waste. Acquiring vocational education or learning a skill is a form of investment in self or self-development and this will really help you as a person in a lot of ways especially when such skills are really needed. For instance, a person with a plumbing skill will find the skill very useful when he has faults relating to plumbing at home, likewise, a person with electrical skills will find such skills would have no need to call an electrician when he has an electrical related fault at home. Apart from this, vocational skills learned can be a means of generating an extra source of income, when you are less busy you can find something to do with your skills that can generate money.